Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Banquet with Simon

Banquet with Simon (Luke 7:36-8:3, spark bible p. 354-357)

Narrator:  One day, Jesus was invited to dinner at Simon’s house.

Simon:   (to the kids) Can you help me welcome Jesus?

Jesus knocks

Simon:  Welcome! (Kids: welcome)  Thanks for coming, Jesus (Kids:  Thanks for coming, Jesus!)

Narrator:  Jesus was ready to eat, when he heard a woman at the door.  When she saw Jesus, she started to cry.  The woman was known to have done many wrong things.

Woman:  Booo Hooo!  Sniff!

Jesus: Please pass the grapes

Narrator: The woman bent over Jesus’ feet and cleaned them dry with her tears.  Drip, drip drip (Kids:  drip, drip, drip!)

Jesus:  Please pass the cheese.

Narrator: the woman dried the tears on his feet with her long, dark hair.  Wipe, wipe,  wipe.  Can you wipe like the woman did?  (Kids:  wipe, wipe, wipe).  The woman was kissing Jesus’ feet and rubbing them with oil.

Simon:  I didn’t invite that woman!  What is she doing?

Narrator:  Simon was angry.  Jesus cleared his throat and told a story.

Jesus:  Two people owed the bank money.  One person owed a bank 500 coins.  The other person owed the bank 50 coins.  The bank canceled payments for both people.  Who was more thankful?

Simon:  The one who owed more money, right?

Jesus:  I’m like that bank.  I forgive and forget big and little mistakes (puts hand on woman’s head)  She needs a lot of forgiveness, so she shows me great love.  You are my host, but you didn’t greet me as a special guest.  You have little mistakes for me to forgive, so you give me only a little love.

Narrator:  Jesus turned to the woman.

Jesus:  Dry your eyes, friend.  I forgive all you’ve done wrong.  You have a strong faith.

Narrator:  Simon had learned a very important lesson.   All people are important and equal to Jesus.  Jesus forgives and forgets mistakes of all sizes. 


If Jesus were coming to your house, how would you get ready for his visit?  What would you do or ask when he came to your house? 




Thoughts for Grown ups

I'll admit it--I'm just thankful this week isn't about a miraculous healing.  Sharing this story with the children is a bit more straightforward.  It's good news we can all take home--God is loving and caring.  Jesus forgives us, no matter how large or small our mistakes.  I also love the way Jesus draws attention to this and gently corrects Simon here.  It reminds me of the Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies (PBIS) at my son's school.  Here, he focuses on the beauty of the woman's actions before addressing Simon's approach and correcting.  I think it's a reminder we can all use--God loves even those we find un-loveable and it's important to look for beauty and redeeming qualities, viewing others how God might see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment