Monday, October 14, 2013

Jacob Wrestles

Jacob Wrestles (Genesis 32:22-31, pp. 46-47 in the spark bible)

Abraham had a son, and his name was Isaac.  Isaac had a son, and his name was Jacob and JACOB was a brave man who wasn’t afraid to speak up and ask questions.  Where’s Jacob—oh here he is!    
Ok…


Jacob was on his way home from a long trip (walk, walk, walk, walk).  He stopped by a river to sleep one night.  Can you pretend to sleep?  ZZZZZZ…

During the night, a man woke Jacob up (pssst!  Psst! Taps Jacob) Jacob was surprised.  Can you make a surprised face? Then the man started wrestling Jacob.  “Who are you?  What do you want?”  Jacob wondered.

They wrestled.  And wrestled.  And wrestled some more.  How long do you think you could wrestle with someone?  How long does it take until you’re tired?  How about very tired?  Well, Jacob and the man wrestled alllllll night until the sun came up.  Jacob would not give up!  He would not stop.  “Let me go!”  cried the man.  “No!”  said Jacob “Not until you have blessed me!”  The man asked “What is your name?”  “Jacob,” said Jacob.  The man then blessed Jacob, and said,  “Now you will have another name.  Israel.  It means that you have wrestled with God!”

What a surprise!  Could it be true?  Could Jacob have been wrestling not with another man but with GOD?  Jacob wrestled God, and God blessed him!  Jacob hurried the rest of the way home—what a story to tell his family!


Have you ever had to do something very, very difficult?  Did you talk to God, asking for  his help as you did?  What are some difficult things that God has helped you to do through him?

______

I'm not sure this is enough for the kids for Sunday, but I have to admit that this is one of my favorite old Testament stories.  It's a little obscure, sure, but...how many times do we, as adults, sometimes feel like we're wrestling with God himself in the midst of trials, begging to come out of it, stronger, and feeling like we've been heard?  As I was working on this, it became intensely personal.  I was trying to think about how to bring it to life for the kids, I found this blogger's interpretation:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/carlgregg/2011/07/a-god-who-will-wrestle-with-you-until-daybreak-a-progressive-christian-lectionary-commentary-on-genesis-32-for-sunday-july-27/

He brings into play here a great book by Henri Nouwen--"The Wounded Healer" and the notion that Jacob could use that hurt (the hip socket injury) for his own purposes (a wounded wounder who would take out that pain on others) or for God's glory--becoming a wounded healer.  The second option takes a great deal of humility and care, but Jacob does manage to go before his brother, Esau, and ask forgiveness.  While Jacob 'prevails' in this encounter, it is used by God to shape Jacob as an even better leader.  In fact, I'd almost say that in Jacob's winning, he's reminded of his own smallness and the love of God who was willing to take human form and willing to let Jacob struggle in order to be transformed.

Much of the last 2 years has felt this way for me, personally.  Most who see our older son from afar see a pretty wild child still.  He's busy, loud, defiant, and often violent when he doesn't get his way.  Trust me, he's  disciplined at home and we keep pretty firm rules...but there are children unlike others and Tristan is one that often has me on my knees begging God for a break, for more sleep, more energy, less tears and frustrations, a closer relationship with other moms and kids--and a few fewer bruises, scratches and fears about his ability to be a good member of society as he grows up.  

Many people have felt free enough to tell me in public that he needs discipline or I must be missing something or another in my parenting.  Let me tell you, it's hard not to lash out sometimes, knowing that they only see that moment and believe that I'm not stepping up to help him grow into an empathetic, articulate and disciplined individual because we've put hours into workshops, working with therapists, training, books, and watching other 4 year olds?  I know that not everyone has these kinds of challenges.  But then there are the parents who see us, continuing to muddle through, and feel comfortable telling us about their own struggles--or in coming to church knowing that even if their child is having trouble in behaving, they probably won't be alone.  So perhaps we are 'prevailing' in our wrestling match with God, begging him to help us through the challenges of having a Tristan, but that he's doing in in ways we didn't anticipate.  He is blessing us with new ways to reach out to others, and new levels of endurance and patience.  Come to think of it, this is one where I don't know if I'd rather God prevailed in this struggle for submission, or if he'd just do what I'd asked and give me a bit more sleep and calm in my life!

But I know I'm not in control--whether or not I prevail in the wrestling matches, it's still just about learning to see the blessing in the midst of what sometimes feels like a beating.  Can I, like Jacob, walk away excited to tell others that I have struggled/wrestled with God and prevailed in my ability to grow and in my ability to see his blessings? Or will I sit and focus on how hard it's been,  and how little I see God doing what I wanted him to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment